Innovative Solutions for a Truly Circular Economy
At A. Hatzopoulos S.A., we focus on improving packaging design and on innovating to make our plastic products more environmental-friendly and easier to recycle. In response to the requirements set by the EU Strategy for Plastics in the Circular Economy as well as our customers globally, we have developed a series of films that are recycle-ready: X-CYCLE.
Complementing the sustainability benefits already offered by flexible packaging, the novel X-CYCLE films add recyclability to our already high-performance films, to meet the diversified needs and packaging requirements of our customers internationally.
Design for recycling
Flexible packaging is the best packaging choice when it comes to product protection, food waste reduction, consumer convenience and sustainability. However, today, most multi-material film structures that provide a broad range of protective and functional properties are not recyclable through the current recycling infrastructure. Our X-CYCLE solutions are the recyclable films designed and launched by A.Hatzopoulos S.A. to fill this exact gap.
Consisting of three main categories: X-CYCLE PP, X-CYCLE POLY and X-CYCLE PE, these fully recyclable solutions are mono-material / homogeneous composites, suitable for recycling through the available corresponding recycling streams.
- Certified by the German Institut Cyclos-HTP
- “MADE FOR RECYCLING” by the German Institut Interseroh
- “Certified as Recyclable” in the UK by OPRL
- High-barrier properties against humidity / oxygen
- Optional integration of barrier properties against light / mineral oils
- Solutions suitable for packaging of an array of products, such as coffee, nuts, wet wipes, bars, snacks, etc..
- Suitable for high-quality printing – up to 10 colors
- Compatibility with lacquers
- Optional transparency to enable product visibility
- High resistance to puncture
- Adjustable pack stiffness
- Optional integration of certification logos
- High-performance films for various high-speed packaging lines
- Films compatible with various add-on packaging components, such as zippers and common degassing valves
- Hermetic seals, even at lower temperatures at certain cases
- Contribution to less energy consumption
Summarising key knowledge and the industry guidelines on the topic of plastics recyclability, we have recently released our Handbook of Recyclable Flexible Packaging. The Handbook is a practical free guide, packed with detailed information and many shelf-ready examples, to provide answers to all questions with regard to each aspect of packaging design that ultimately influences the recycling process and the recyclate quality.
Based on the recognized CEFLEX directives, we provide advice and key insights to packaging development for recycling, to help you redesign your flexible packaging.